"Start over. Follow these simple instructions. Get a set of headphones and sound system with some kind of decent amplifier, and a copy of please please me (album, single, cassette, cd, whatever you can find. If you don't have it, knock on the two or three doors closest to your domicile, you'll come up with a copy, guaranteed). Turn off the speakers and listen to the song on headphones a couple of times. Then turn up the volume as high as you think you can bear and listen to it a few more times.
Keep going. Louder. Crank that sucker up. Push your limits.
Louder. Come on, you could be saving yourself thousands of dollars of psychotherapy here. Louder! That's it. Over the top. Breakthrough. Bliss. Release. Your heart is pounding, your bones are vibrating, your spirit wants to push away the walls of the world and scream to the far galaxies 'come on (come on) come on (come on) come on (come on) (come on) come on (COME ON!)- I swear to god, it's like I've never heard this record before, never really understood what the Beatles were all about until this evening. It's not that I haven't gone this far, but I guess I was just too proud to let those absurdly popular, universally palatable Beatles be the ones to bring me here.
I was a fool. This record is as tough and as revolutionary as anything any punk or heavy metallist ever attempted. It could kill you. It could set you free."
Monday, March 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment